Thursday, April 1, 2010

Eye Can't Look


As I was walking down a long hallway to class, I recognized a girl on the other end coming towards me who was also going to the same classroom. I saw her, she saw me, we both made eye contact then quickly darted our heads to the side like we didn’t see each other.

Afterwards, I thought to myself, why did I just do that? I didn’t dislike the girl, and I’m normally not an unfriendly person, but I felt as if avoiding eye contact was something I just habitually did and it has finally become a natural reflex in my day-to-day routine.

Living in a society where confidence with others is seen as a powerful characteristic, I was brought to understand that eye contact is essential in a social forum. I also believed that thought was universal around the world. After researching the subject more, I found an article on brighthub.com that explained how many different cultures actually treat eye contact in different ways.

United States- Here, eye contact means that you are interested in the other person. Looking away shows disinterest or distraction. It can also be seen as a lack of self-confidence.

Western Europe- Eye contact is similar to that of the United States. Eye contact here often sparks conversation. Also, it can be considered more flirtatious than in the U.S., meaning travelers to Europe should be careful of how eye contact is made.

Middle East- It is much less common and less appropriate to make eye contact because of class issues. Muslims have strict rules about eye contact between the sexes, where woman can hardly ever look a man in the eye. Intense gazes between men can show sincerity and dominance.

Asia, Latin America, Africa- Extended eye contact can mean a challenge of authority. Long gazes at a superior can be disrespectful. Brief eye contact is considered polite between the different social registers. Japanese women avoid eye contact to be polite.

Just remember when traveling to other countries, the tourist attractions are a sight to see, but depending on where you are, maybe eye contact is better kept on the monuments.

No comments:

Post a Comment